I'm thrilled that summer is here. Tis the season to wear shorts, enjoy the outdoors, and be bear aware.
<Side note: While out on my run today, I planned to take and ultimately post here a picture of the "Bear Aware" signs that were littering our neighborhood earlier this week, but sadly they are gone. Perhaps we got the all clear from bear danger?>
Those signs are all over our neighborhood. I truly love where we live, but sometimes the wildlife is a little unnerving. I like the rabbits, deer and occasional elk that happen through our yard, but the foxes, bobcats, rattlesnakes and bears aren't as welcome. Last week I came home from dropping off the kids at school and one of our downspouts was in the middle of our driveway. I thought it was odd, until our neighbor told me a fox had been in my driveway trying to get a baby rabbit taking cover in said downspout. I'm a believer in nature and the food chain and all that; I just don't like it happening on my driveway. Sigh. Its still worth it living here.
Wildlife aside, things are going well for us. My sugar detox is complete. I haven't had any candy, soda, or added sweetener since last week. I feel fantastic. I had no idea how much sugar was affecting my well-being. And admittedly, the vain part of me enjoys the fact I'm losing some back flab. #winning
Workouts have been great as well. Last month I ran just over 30 miles, the first time I've hit a running goal in, oh, years. I'm eyeing a half marathon this fall to give me a stretch goal. I like goals.
Speaking of goals, I'm laying out my monthly goals here in an effort to keep me accountable. Nothing like public shaming if I fall short, right? Here's what June is looking like for me:
- Run 40 miles - if I want to do a half, I kinda need to train for it.
- 8 yoga sessions of 30 min or longer - yoga has been my new passion. I discovered Tara Stiles and have been using a lot of her You Tube videos and yoga DVDs. Its making a huge difference in my strength, flexibility and peace of mind.
- Dedicated time daily for Bible reading & prayer - in our small group we've been studying Not a Fan, and its made me realize I need to dedicate some meaningful time to my relationship with God.
- Post on blog 15 times - this is pretty self explanatory, no?
- Read two books - I've lost sight of my love of reading.
- June Projects:
- Go through Bubba's clothes - Bubba is my oldest offspring, and growing like a weed. His dresser is stuffed with clothes that don't fit.
- Go through Bean's clothes - Bean is my youngest offspring, and also growing like a weed. His dresser has the same problem as Bubba's.
- Sort & organize my closet - I'm not growing like a weed, but I have a cluttered closet full of clothes.
- Decorate Bean's room - I have a ton of prints and other knickknacks for his room, but somehow I never summon the energy to hang them. No longer!
- Finish cleaning out the flower beds & plant garden - the previous owners of our home did a stunning job with landscaping the yard ... but it takes a ton of work to maintain, we've learned.
- Organize and clean home office - I recently got set up with a home video unit for work. I set it up in our home office, which historically has been my husband's territory. My husband J, whom I love and adore, is a bit of a pack rat. The office is chock full of paperwork and books and power cords and Lord knows what else (ex: I found a receipt for a hotel stay from over a year ago, a trip J didn't even go on, yet he saved the receipt.) The room needs some purging and a little TLC.